I Forge Iron

My New Toy (and project)

Hey everybody. Just wanted to show some pics of my latest project. An old blacksmith called me and sold me this very early Mayer Bros. Trip hammer for $125!!:o I need to ad a motor, belts and take the clutch apart to get the rust out but everything turns freely ( except the clutch seems to be stuck:confused:). If anybody sees anything thats missing (other than the motor) please let me know. Thanks for looking, Ive never seen one like this and any advice or general info on the machine would be appriciated. Cant wait to get her runnin:D

12703.attach

12704.attach

12705.attach

12706.attach

12707.attach

12708.attach

Edited by J Anderson R

Check it closely for a patent # or serial # or mod # any one will get you good info from Google Patents.

Frosty

On the inside of the anvil it has a stamp that says " NO 185 ", other then that they only markings are the companys mark= Mayer Bros Mankato Minn. Its kind of funny, Mankato is only 40 miles from my house and Ive never seen one of these before.

You sure fell in that pile of poo and came out smelling like a rose! That sure was kind of him to sell that to you for $125.:D

A very nice fellow. He ran a blacksmith shop in the 30s and 40s and this, as well as its big brother, were the main workhorses of the shop. I think he was just glad to see it going to someone that would give it new life. I dont mean to boast about the price paid, but it sure is nice when the fates through you a bone!:D

You have an item that's about scarce as hen's teeth. It's a Mayer Bros. Easy hammer. Very short manufacturing run 1902 to 1919. Sid at Little Giant can probably give you the year of manufacture and possibly the first owner.
Finnr

That isn't going to be enough to find anything on a patent server unfortunately.

Did you get a chance to talk to the old fellow? Find out what he did in his shop? Get some stories?

Frosty

Un fortunately he was VERY hard of hearing and most of the talking was done with his son, but he did pipe up and said " Ive drawn out ALOT of ties with this " and I believe him. Im sending him pictures when its up and runnin again

The gods are smiling on you J Anderson R:)
As Finnr said give Sid a call, here is a link= Little Giant Hammer- Nebraska City, NE

Phone: 402-873-6603

Little Giant Power Hammer
Attn. Harlan "Sid" Suedmeier
420 4th Corso
Nebraska City, NE 68410

If I were as close as you to Sid's shop, I know its still far... but closer than Ca. I'd go to his shop!

I've been rebiulding a 100#er for the last little while and its getting ready to fire up very soon:D:D. Just welded up a motor mount and clutch fork and linkage for the clutch/foot pedal. Now all I have to do is turn a pulley and make new dies and I'm on my way...

Hope your rebuild takes less time than mine, please show pics!!!!

Hey Josh,

What a great deal and story - Nothing like getting something straight from the person who made it's history!

Here's a an illustration and description from an old catalog I have.
Looks to be the same as yours with the exception of the shaft and pulley assembly on the top.

12750.attach

Hey Josh,

What a great deal and story - Nothing like getting something straight from the person who made it's history!

Here's a an illustration and description from an old catalog I have.
Looks to be the same as yours with the exception of the shaft and pulley assembly on the top.

That is cool! Wheres the motor:confused:?

Josh,

The catalog is from 1919 and there are only a few items that are featured with electric motors (blowers & drill presses, etc) - all of the power hammers are shown with line-drive pulleys.

Contacting Sid @ LG will probably be your best source for the how-to of fitting a motor.

Have fun and keep us up to date on how it goes and the info you discover!