I Forge Iron

hand crank forge gearset

paragon53

Below are pics of blowers in use in Viet Nam posted by a traveler.

One is set up and in use, they hang on a wall out of the way and the air is ducted to the ground forge.

The other pic is a pile of several forges for sale in a market.

Think how cool it'd be to build one with a flywheel and 10 speed gear train. Hmmm?

Lots of options available.

Frosty

12660.attach

12661.attach

Frosty, You were not far off about the bicycle parts. I was planning on using an old
crankset and a freewheel hub. Not so much a 10 speed though. I don't think I would have enough room for a dearileur system to change the speeds. I would be using
a 53 tooth crank and a 14 tooth cog on the fan shaft.
Lee

That's only a about 3.8:1.

The Vietnamese blowers are hung on a wall out of the way and they're using the wheel rim for the large pully.

Since I got a look at these things I've occasionally thought about how to make a groove in the tire for a belt and still be able to fill it with something heavy like concrete for a flywheel. maybe the answer is to use two wheels, one for the pully and the other weighted as a flywheel.

Just a few random neuron firings.

Frosty

Since everytime I finish something someone make something better and quicker and easier here is my take on a bicycle part blower I roughly assembled today.

The only manual forge blower I've seen in my life is this one. It works, sort of, but I agree that this 3:1 gear ratio isn't enough.

What is the typical gear ratio of a commercial blower? I couldn't find anything about that anywhere.

My investment in this so far is a few hours, off-cuts and $10 worth of bicycle parts. Back to CAD again.

Fan_blower.jpg

Jacques:

You did a nice looking job on the blower, it looks like it'll move quite a bit of air.

You can mount a jack shaft and up the gear ratio easily, there's plenty of room. If you extended the jack shaft a little you could put a fly wheel on it to save some sweat too.

I'd drill or punch a hole in the crank handle and using a long bolt mount a wood or pipe handle so it doesn't wear holes in your hand.

Frosty