I Forge Iron

From SW idaho

Hi guys/gals, just introducing myself. Dan Stevens, dba Steelsmith. I've been a weldor since the late 70's. Some structural, some hotrod & motorcycle work, lots of experimental aviation manufacturing.

I'm following the Metalshapers path, cold-shaping (hammering) sheetmetal into compound curves. I have made most of my own equipment, in my shop. The main pieces include, powered helve hammer, CP air planishing hammer, English wheel, powered bead roller, and a Metlmaster reciprocating machine.

Last month I invested in a small propane gas forge, and a screw-press. It's my intention to be more involved with lo-production parts manufacturing, to act as a stabilizing force, regarding income in my shop.

I'm hoping to be able to gain insight into other options for using my equipment.

Glad to be here.

Dan Stevens
IdahoSteelsmith

Welcome aboard Dan, glad to have you.

If you're looking to get the most from your equipment and new ideas you've come to the right place.

Are you in the phone book in Nampa? My sister moved there last fall and I'm pretty sure I'll visit occasionally and it'd be good to have someone of similar interests to visit.

Same if you make it to AK. give me a shout and come on by.

Frosty

Not by my dba, Just me. I don't use a sign, just word of mouth. Otherwise I'd have lookie-loos scattered all over the yard!
Thanks for the welcome Frosty, and sure if you're down this way, give me a call. I don't think Alaska is in my future, even for a visit but, who can tell?!

Looking forward to meeting you some time...

Dan Stevens
dba, Steelsmith

That's a good question Dan, Glenn would know and if not I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to just start a where you live thread.

When I travel I usually give a shout out in advance on the lists and fora I hang on. That way if folk don't mind me stopping by they can give me an invite and if not they can stay quiet without feeling pressured.

Frosty

Is there anybody out there?!

I'm talking to fairly local Metalworkers, in Eastern Oregon, Southwest Idaho and Northern Nevada. Just wanting to have some locals to visit with, get some insight into setting up for Forge/Foundry/Blacksmith type work.
I'm currently setup as a Metalshaper, and am looking to expand my use/capabilities regarding my shop.

Dan Stevens
dba, Steelsmith

I live in Klamath Falls, Been to Lake Owyhee a couple times. I think it was 7 hrs or so to get there. I remember meeting a smith from Burns, Oregon one time, but his name escapes me. The NWBA conference is in Sisters OR, next month, you could make some contacts there probably. Feel free to look me up if you're ever in my area.