I Forge Iron

Hello from Tucson

Moose Forge

I've been taking a blacksmithing class at our local community college and am starting to collect equipment. So far I've assembled an oxy-acetylene setup with spare tanks and a Victor 100 torch from my brother and have built a cart. I also have a bench grinder and angle grinder, compressor, and I'm rebuilding a leg vise. I made a pair of tongs in class that are workable but barely. I recently joined Arizona Artist Blacksmiths.

Welcome aboard Moose, glad to have ya.

Sounds like you're on your way, just don't wait till you have all the "right" tools and equipment to start forging. A hot fire, something heavy to use for an anvil RR rail being a fine starter, something to beat it with, ball peins, drilling hammer, cross pein (engineer's hammer), single jack sledge are all fine to excellent smithing hammers but any hammer with a smooth face will do in a pinch. Lastly, something to hold small pieces with, vise grips work dandy though you have already made a pair of tongs.

Frosty

Go to as many Arizona Associasions meetings as you can.
Try to find someone else close as hands one will advance you greatly as trying to learn by yourself
Welcome to the site.
If after you sign on each time click on new posts at top of page and you see only new entries.