I Forge Iron

greets from tanglewood

solumARC

Hi, I'm new to the forum, *wave*.
Anyone can thread this if they need to talk to me, but my main reason for posting is to get a cheap dirty finishing technique I just learned webbed. I wouldn't be so hubristic but I've never seen it online or dead tree published and I found it to be really useful.
My shop has only been producing for six months or so, so I consider myself def' the neophyte, but finishing can really make a mediocre piece look classy.
What I found, was that while I was using a drill press set to high rpm, with a sanding drum(the kind with a rubber roundy thing) that if I dropped the sleeve of the drum halfway down and used a strong abrasive I got miraculous results.
Now, high end shops sell drums that can be inflated/deflated and this would probably achieve the same affect, but this setup can be done for ten bucks or so... as opposed to fifty.
Now, if I had a sanding belt, which I've played with so few times, I'm sure I could get the same results. But this is cheap and dirty. Maybe someone could pull it off with a drill motor?
Anyway, I hope this helps someone out. And thanks to the admins for the site, I know this post is probably in the wrong forum, but I beg lenience on grounds of newberi.

thanks all,

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya.

You may be right and there is a section for finishing, I use the "New Post" search engine at the top of the page to check . . . new posts!

I wouldn't say you've come up with a new technique, using a rubber wheel or platen and grits, polishes, etc. is the norm for lapidary. It's worth trying on metal though and I don't know of anyone but you who's tried it so you get credit. So far anyway.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location we won't have to try remembering where you are. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Besides if folk close to you know you're there they can let you know about get togethers, tool deals, etc.

Frosty