I Forge Iron

Forge up and Running

Bully

Well finally got my forge fired up, had a few minor issues with uneven fire burning ( Got onto Dale quicksmart and was appropriately told turn the air down...problem solved) Found the firepot (brakedrum) was to shallow as I had lined the bottom with clay and was using a curved grate, whenever I pushed a piece into the fire it went to the grate and pushed the coke out the way....solution take out clay and use flat grate...result started playing with trackpins just round to square and back again drawing out (trying to develop good hammer technique) Thanks Dale Russell for again my lessons on Sunday covering upsetting, punching, forge welding, leaf making and the help and advice you have given me to get me to where I am. Will post some pics of forge as soon as I find the digital camera (kids ya gotta love 'em) cheers to all stay safe.

TASMITH , he was 2 minutes after he walked inta my shop , like a sponge , takes in everything i've shown him & still wants more . Took him 3 try's ta get his " first forge weld " but that was mostly linin' everything up , he'll get better with more practice , as we all do

On youse Bully , the missus will at least know where youse are from the noise comin' from the backyard ... :)
Will take a chook at youse forge soon ta see ifin we's can't " tweek " it some for youse bloke

Dale Russell

that and surrounding yourself with fellow addicts :D

Good on youse Bully, it's great ta see someone getting off their... backside and actually doing it instead of just rattling around spouting about how they're forging a great longsword out of coathangers etc etc etc. Wish more folks were like that.

I was paid a compliment (to my mind at least) by the local council man Hugh, who came to look at the progress we've made on the Farm today.

He said '' There are Do'ers and Talkers, you're obviously Do'ers, keep it up''

No fear on that LOL.

Same applies to you, keep it up mate.