I Forge Iron

legvice stand

FTK

It certainly looks solid. I don't think I would've set the leg into the concrete but leg vises are hard to come by here.

It's a little like the portable vise stand I had some years ago. I built brackets to mount the vise to a 55gl drum and filled it with water when on site. The lid made a handy table next to the vise and having extra water handy made the fire marshal happier.

Frosty

It certainly looks solid. I don't think I would've set the leg into the concrete but leg vises are hard to come by here.

It's a little like the portable vise stand I had some years ago. I built brackets to mount the vise to a 55gl drum and filled it with water when on site. The lid made a handy table next to the vise and having extra water handy made the fire marshal happier.

Frosty

That's the exact setup I have for my demo rig. 55 gallons of water in a steel barrel with an sized average vise will give you around 500 lbs of weight and it's easy to drain when the demo is over. I made a bracket on the outside of the drum to hold the vise leg, which makes the whole arrangement quite solid.

I prefer to have the main vice fixed to the left-hand end of a bench (my current bench has .25'' steel top over two 1'' layers of oak with the legs concreted 18'' into the ground) in line with and at right angles to the heel of the anvil. Moveable vices are useful if you need to move them but are a bit of a pain for heavy bending and twisting.

Interesting setup. Did it have a full leg or had it been cut short?

With a full leg, I would have made the mount the same, but put a piece of pipe just slightly larger than the leg in as a shroud from the concrete, with a piece of plate welded to the end of that (before the concrete is poured, welded to the pipe, for a solid bearing surface for the vise, as the mount would be plenty solid, and the leg would still be bearing the brunt of the hammer blows downward). If that makes sense.

Then, if the vise was needed on a bench sometime, just fab up another mount for that. Then you would have two mounting options in the shop.

Otherwise, looks very solid and stable.

@keykeeper The vice has a full leg, The Bottom tightly sits in a piece of pipe that is welded to the main baem (stand). There are also some smaller beams welded to the main one for extra strenght in de concrete.

@yesteryearforge I don't know the brand of the vice, there are no markings on it. This type is very common here, i think it's German. Also the plate riveted to the side of the vice is practically standard here.