I Forge Iron

New forge details- pic heavy

Kozzy

I finally finished the new coal forge but haven't had a chance to fire it or work any bugs out yet.  There are a couple of construction details which I though might give others ideas.  No, I don't claim to have built this "right"...just for my needs at this point.

I used a commercial blower from one common blacksmith's source and the forge pot from another.  Decided not to mention the source names because of the forum rules.  Will if one of the mods gives permission and someone actually asks.

I was going to make a fancy flange for the forge pot connection to match the casting but found that the opening was already just a hair above 3" diameter.  Instead of getting fancy, I took a piece of 3" exhaust pipe and expanded one end just a hair with a hydraulic exhaust expander tool.  That made it fit perfectly into the opening and a couple of light hammer taps set it so friction-tight I can't move it.  If it loosens with thermal cycling, a couple of taps will seat it better. It shouldn't crack the cast because it doesn't extend more than about an inch or two in and that area stays fairly cool anyway.

i3hro2.png

On the blower end, the flange was a weird size.  Because the pot side worked perfectly with 3" exhaust pipe I decide to keep that consistent.  There was nothing on the blower end that worked out to 3" so I made a flange and welded it to some exhaust tubing.  No room for the flange bolts but that fit my plan anyway.  I won't know until I get a chance to use the thing whether the airflow can be adequately adjusted by the blower cover or if I will want a secondary gate.  By just clamping this flange in place, it holds tight and leaves the option open for change.  There is a thin coating of high-temp silicone on the flange to seal better.

2mo60pz.png

I connected the blower to the forge pot with a piece of stainless flexible exhaust tubing and exhaust clamps.  It's quite a bit more spendy than the usual flexible tubing but is MUCH sturdier--more of a lifetime solution. Orientation of the blower put the gate on the user side and kept the switch easily accessible.  That did make for weird hose routing.  

2pspron.png

I used angle clamped on the surface with several binder clips for a "rim" to keep coal from flying all over.  It allows total flexibility and seems to hold it's place quite well.  I had a piece of scrap stainless laying around that fit perfectly as an extra wind shield around the fire pot for average forging and it can be set aside for larger pieces. 

2q0oqzc.png

The forge was meant to be portable and I used some wheels I had laying around.  They're standard size so if they don't survive, I can swap them out for sturdier wheels easily.  It has a single removable pipe handle opposite the wheel side and is moved like a wheel barrow.

2yx5biu.png

Yes, I know the high temp paint won't last worth a darn.  I wanted to start out feeling good about it though.  And I don't represent anything here as "right" or proper---it's just ideas I'm trying because they seem to work for the way I bang metal.  Oh..decided on a forge height of 32". I was going to adapt another stand (some might remember me asking about height on that) but decided to just scratch build the framework.  Main top surface is 10 gauge plate and tubing is all 1-1/4 x 14 gauge.

Kozzy...Butcher of metal / Clamp Master...LOL

I like it...Love the handle idea. Nice Build!

Im pretty much a newbie but what i'm wondering about is...Is there enough room on the table (Blower side) to coke up coal? How come the firepot wasnt centered?   Just to have a work surface for tools? Are those pnuematic tires?

Ill be making a new set up sometime next year when I tear a wall down in my shop to add a stationary forge and double my size. Ive been thinking ill brick up the base and flue and provide a plate and firebox (Like you've done) that can just sit on or into the brick work.

It sure looks like this will serve you well. Best of luck! 

4 hours ago, Bhutton said:

Im pretty much a newbie but what i'm wondering about is...Is there enough room on the table (Blower side) to coke up coal? How come the firepot wasnt centered?   Just to have a work surface for tools? Are those pnuematic tires?

Coking coal is far too expensive around here to monkey with except as the oddball lark.  I have to use the anthracite from Tractor Supply..or worse.  Even at that, it's got enough room that I should be able to coke up at least "well enough" if I ever find that magical source of the good stuff for cheap.

Yes, those tires are completely wrong.  However I had them laying around looking for a use so decided to see whether it'd be minutes or years before something went wrong enough to cause failure.  They're standard 10" so I can get all sorts of more appropriate replacement options when things go south.  If a tire "pops", that leg is designed so it'll only drop about an inch and a half (extension on the bottom of the leg below the axle ) and the forge will remain stable without tipping over.