I Forge Iron

Arm and hammer, is it cracked?

Today, i went and saw an awesome old man with 8 ANVILS! although they were nice, they were out of our price range. one we found was in immaculate condition and we think we can talk him into $200.00 for it. regardless, i think it may have a crack in it between the body and the waist under the weight denomination but i cant tell. here's a couple of pictures

post-48000-0-05554200-1391330540_thumb.j

post-48000-0-71985300-1391330535_thumb.j

That is a typical arm and hammer face plate. I have several and they all look the same as that one. A&H anvils were noted for being excellent utilitarian anvils but were not well finished to keep the costs down. 

If the anvil has a good clear bell ring with no buzzing or dead sounding spots anywhere you tap it, along with good rebound, then it is fine. If you can get it for $200 you will be getting a killer deal. They are pretty rare and usually expensive when you do find them.

Here are two of mine and the larger one has a very clear line between the face plate and the body.

post-25611-0-74629600-1391343343_thumb.j

As mentioned traditionally made anvils have a weld in the waist area and A&H's tend not to have a dressed appearance.

These anvil  are considered top tier in quality for usability.  Check it for ring---it should and if it rings clear there are no hidden cracks.

The most modern of them had the waist arc welded instead of forge welded!