• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Emig

Mark Emig

Banned

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have recently gotten a breath of fresh air, so to speak, and have been doing stuff just for the fun of it. Today I made a snub end scroll from 5/8"x 1-1/2", made some stakes, a drifting block from 3/4"x2", a leafing hammer from 1" square(still needs clean up and heat treat), and knocked some 2-1/8" 4140 down to 1"square. Nice to just play for the fun of it-I've missed it.

Attached File  tools 001.JPG   18.09KB   158 downloads

Attached File  tools 005.JPG   47.18KB   205 downloadsAttached File  tools 004.JPG   45.5KB   213 downloads

Attached File  tools 015.JPG   49.81KB   151 downloads

#2 Jim Coke

Jim Coke

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationCadillac Michigan

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

Greetings Mark,

Slick stuff..  I am always amazed that what other people call work we call fun....  They just don't understand..   Keep up the great work....  By the way that's a penny scroll...

Keep a nockin    Jim

May I create an environment that will allow the iron to become alive and malleable so it will yield to the images in my mind under my hammer

#3 Mark Emig

Mark Emig

Banned

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

This is a solid snub end scroll. A half penny (or penny) snub end is the one with the thin end-thereby the correlation to a half-penny (or penny). The book Wrought Ironwork in the Cosira series (it can be downloaded free) has some great pics and how to about them. Check page 24. Thanks for trying to spread some knowledge though. Thanks for the compliment-it's a big change from where I started many years ago, where I made mostly mistakes and uglies :)-it's appreciated.

#4 doc

doc

Vintage Member

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Nice scroll Mark, you're correct about it's not being a half-penny, hay-penny or penny scroll. The common English or American name for the scroll end you've made is a snub end. Another similar scroll where the snub is made by tapering the bar end done to nothing and then rolling it up like a "jelly roll" is called a French button.

#5 Jim Coke

Jim Coke

• Members
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationCadillac Michigan

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Greetings Mark/Doc,

I stand corrected .  Guess my old early morning eyes are not what they were at 40..  

Humble Jim

May I create an environment that will allow the iron to become alive and malleable so it will yield to the images in my mind under my hammer

#6 Mark Emig

Mark Emig

Banned

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

No worries-I've found that terminology varies from place to place-just trying to show where I learned it from :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users