I Forge Iron

How do you make diagonal holes in a gate cross bar

Okay here is how I do it. It is like making a pair of box jaw tongs (Thanks to Williamsburg smiths who described it to me some years ago)

You need to decide on the size of the hole finished. Then you are going to slit a hole to that size or slightly under but offset along the bar length to get the right angle. Take a protractor and scribe two lines on the side of the bar at the angle you want the finished hole to be, at the width of the finished hole. Transfer those marks to the side of the bar to be slit using a slitting chisel (not a slit punch) to cut halfway through from both sides and at an angle if you can because that will keep the interior of the hole cleaner although if you are putting soething through it you won't notice. Make sure your slits are not past the lines at all and maybe just a bit short. Then you can reheat and clamp in a vise and drive a drift through at the correct angle. I would do this with a flat or oval drift smaller than the finished size then you can reheat and drive the final drift through. The issue you may have is to hold it while you do the drifting as it will want to move because of the angle you are hitting at. I would drift from both sides a litte at a time over either an open vise or a slot in a block.
good luck