I Forge Iron

Electric fans. mains power/12volt, squirrel cage, centrifugal etc

apples

I have a rocket stove that I want to make air forced using a fan/blower. The trick is, that I want it to be quiet at the same time as powerful.

I think that a squirrel cage fan is the ticket for this??? I see you can get centrifugal fans that have heaps of air flow but they are very loud.

The best setup for me would be a motor thar runs on 12v as I would like to run it hooked up to a car battery. I see a few car heater fans/blowers on ebay but I wonder if they would have enough pressure and cfm for my application?

Any ideas people have are appreciated.

BTW I am in Australia, we use 240v AC. And I would want a motor speed control too, which I think is easy using a dc motor. Maybe I could get a car heater and swap out the standard motor for a higher speed motor?

Peter

More info please! Only time I've seen forced air used on a wood stove was when we were burning sawdust at the wood shop and would pack it full and then light the 'face" and turn the blower on it.

If this is to dissipate heat from around the stove; fairly quiet systems are on the market I'd back engineer one of those.

Use a blower from a car that is only a single squirrel cage and also get the speed control switch for it. Voila- instant variable speed fan. Some fans use a double shaft motor with 2 fans, dont think that is what you want. Car fans are powerful when you eliminate all the ductwork they must blow through.
More details on your rocket stove, they are for cooking efficently arn't they?

The idea is of the rocket stove to minimize fuel consumption and heat one pot with a small efficient stove. see drawing here and 2 nd drawing ere

The basic rocket stove is a 90* elbow and two lengths "pipe", usually chimney pipe or other very thin walled metal pipe..The stove can also be made from bricks etc but the concept is the same. The short horizontal section is where the wood is loaded and burns, the vertical section is where the additional combustion takes place and concentrates the heat toward the bottom of a cooking vessel.

Rocket stoves are made simple for a reason, it works. It burns efficiently and delivers that heat to one cooking vessel. If you want more air into the rocket stove, lengthen the vertical section, which will increase the draft. If forced (blown) air us used you stand a good chance of overheating the system.

We need more information on what you are trying to do.

Yep I just want more flames out of the top. And I notice that I get a pile up of coals which limit the air flow through the system. If I had a longer section of pipe on top it would draw a lot more air, but then I would not get the flames out in the open.

The simple thing is that I need more air flow. Yes the car heater blower fans would be easy to work with.