I Forge Iron

Heavy duty Smithin magician

Just finished this today - about 3 X bigger than my original small one. I wanted the dies to be over the center mass of the anvil. This take place of all my other hardy tools now except for the cut off hardy. The die that's in it is a 45 Deg butcher. I must still complete the different fullers and other dies that I will be needing.

100_2573.jpg

100_2572.jpg

100_2571.jpg

Hey Tim,

Thats a really good looker. I like how it is designed to be got at from every direction limited only to the depth of the 'C' frame or throat .

Question...how is it that you prefer to use the smithin magician over the press in the background? seems to me it would do that kind of work well , but,
I don't have a press , I do have a S.Magician, so I only half way get it.

Could you elucidate,
Kevin

That looks like a great business opportunity for you. B)
I have the smithing magician and have wanted to work on some 2" and 3" which it won't do.
Kevin, maybe the press doesn't have the preciseness that the SM on steroids will have.

Allen

Hey Kevin -you can never have too many tools!!! I miss my power hammer every day. But to answer your question - Allen has it right, the press does not give me the precision and ease of access that the SM does on certain work, especially knives and tenons and a lot of the finer art work I do, but mainly knives. Helps a great deal with hidden tangs and such things. The press is mainly used for Damascus and drawing down big stock. You will note that all three forges in the background run on used veg oil and diesel - cuts my running cost by 90%.

I have the cut list on auto cad for any who are interested. The dies are 75mmX20mm EN45 spring steel and by the way, I am not limited by the C frame for depth - all my dies are designed to be used across the anvil, not length ways.

Allen, 2" and 3" is exactly why I built this. I am planning some candle holders using 45mm square tubing and needed a SM that could handle this. Square tubing will be filled with sand to stop it folding in on itself - will post picks when done.

Tim,

Nice design and sizing on the SM.

I recall spending some time in your town (Richards Bay) and I remember the town had a lot of iron work on and around the buildings. One of the only places I have ever seen an angle iron fence. The port area was enclosed with this type fencing.

Peter

Tim,

Nice design and sizing on the SM.

I recall spending some time in your town (Richards Bay) and I remember the town had a lot of iron work on and around the buildings. One of the only places I have ever seen an angle iron fence. The port area was enclosed with this type fencing.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yep RB has plenty of fabricated iron work, but EVERYTHING is galvanized or SS - very little forged work. The angle iron fencing is popular here in SA - called Palisade fencing - With our "crime rate" security installations have made a lot of people rich, funny what paranoia can do!!

One suggestion: drill a series of small holes along the middle of the top tool and source a light duty compression spring so you can use a roll pin to set you system up so the dies are open just a tad larger than your intended work piece; but will close with no effort when you hit them with the hammer.

My favorite swing arm fuller has a die spring mounted in the pivot to keep the arm aligned and positioned where ever it's set but doesn't sap energy from the hammer blow. It also has the swing arm extend past the pivot point so I can tap it with the hammer and it opens to where I need it for the stock I am using.