I Forge Iron

Bridge Crane

Picked up a bridge crane this week from across town that I found on craigs. Everything went well considering we had been on ladders and were moving 900 lb. beams with a forklift and such, had around 3 tons on the trailer home with no problem but the toung weight was a bit slim due to the length of the beams 22'-24'. Anyways did I mention I built my shop at the top of a hill! Yep, DIllon hill claimed its first load, a bit of lost traction some wheel hop and that was it, hold on! The load shifted and then I lost three beams, by this time all traction was gone and I was steering backwards while sliding! Slid over the buss bar, toasted half of it, trailer popped a tire on one of the beams but a least I kept it straight. Oh well I was able to get some more buss bar that had been left behind, had a spare and finally got the load up top. Sometimes when the devil taps you on the shoulder and smiles its better not to smile back <_<

post-2769-0-03925000-1305417982_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-26225200-1305418003_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-07571300-1305418027_thumb.jp

Glad to hear nobody got hurt Mike.
It`s those short adrenaline charged moments that make us think a little more deeply about future endeavors and how we want to go about them. If they slow us or anyone else down for a minute longer to think about safety then they are worth whatever it takes in time and money rather than flesh and blood.
Nice crane BTW. Always glad to see someone going to the next level in tooling. It can only mean the projects are also going to jump up at least one level too. When that happens with someone of your level of expertise it means we all are looking forward to spectacular results in the near (we hope) future. :):) :)

• 1 month later...

Right on man!! If you need any other parts or have questions give me a shout... My brother works for the largest crane company in the world and I put up bridge cranes for a living for a spell..

If you have any tips about install I would be all ears or eyes anyway. I figure you have to start at the bottom but any tricks to get the runway straight a level would be key, lasers?

Thanks,

I guess I could have went back and looked at the pictures... So what I would do is get the columns up and then set the runway beams loose... The runways beams are often diffrent heights (the same size beams can vary quite a bit) and the top is the only thing that matters... so set all the runway beam up then clamp the tops of the beams flush and tack ... then shim between the top plate and beam.... The rail should be loose on the runway and you can use a string to get it good and straight.. Get one straight then pull a tape every 5 feet or so from rail to rail to make sure you stay parallel... you can wander back and forth and a bit of grade change (1/4" every 20') wont hurt you too bad, but if you get even a little out of parallel you'll have big problems...

Michael,

You put all that on one trailer? :D

Nice crane, by the way.

Out here in Africa, where a self-leveling laser costs stupid money we use a garden hose with a piece of clear aquarium pipe stuck in at each end. fill the hose with water and a dash of cordial(consentrate cooldrink) to colour the water.

You now have an all terain water level. cheap & cheerful and works like a dream even around corners and without direct line of sight.

Ian

I wouldnt set the bridge till the rail is where you want it. Its really pretty easy, it helps to have a second man in the air... What we usualy did was starting at one end make 5' chalk marks on the top of both runway beams... have two guys one with either end of the tape and pull tight to the straight rail and make a mark on the opposite runway... then you have a reference to measure too setting the second rail.. Dont try and get the whole rail straight at once either, you'll chase it back and forth. Start at one end and use a big clamp to push or pull the rail to your string line and tighten the clamp and move on... Dont worry so much about the rail being in the center of the beam either... it needs to average over the center to be strong but if it gets off its more important that it stay straight than center of the beam..

Nice BC Michael!

I know how ya feel - My place is at the top of a rock ridge and my driveway is a 1/4 mile long and gains about 200 feet in altitude - I've had some slip and slide adventures bringing up loads of coke and over-loaded lumber but so far I haven't had a "reverse" Nantuckett Sleigh-ride blink.gif

Post some pics o' that bad boy when you've got it set up.

Got the runway up, need to tag it off and set the track also beef up the two spans I have using 1/2"x8" on top of the 10" I beam. I am getting a lesson in engineering from a friend who is a retired RR bridge engineer using the Manual of Steel Construction AISC. I was surprised to find the top is what will fail and cause the beam to roll, simply adding a stiffener of channel or flat bar will double the load it will carry.

post-2769-0-48241300-1309629180_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-51178900-1309629192_thumb.jp

Lookin good! One thing to consider.. that $35K they quoted you? about half of that is simply liability coverage, another hefty chunk for an engineer... A 1/4 of whats left to pay a salesman that never gets dirty and an office person to answer the phone, then finally the chunk of the pie thats left over is the actual cost of the crane... usually about 25%-40% of the quoted cost is the "actual" cost for the crane materials hardware and installation...

You'll love have a crane though.... I sure wish I owned my building, Id put one up...

If you cant come up with a hoist let me know... I could get you something nice and cheap... Probably cost as much to ship it to you as the hoist cost though...