I Forge Iron

Building Induction Forge

My name is Spc.Savant, im a US Army soldier deployed to Afghanistan. I have been smithing for about 4 years before I started my Army career and have never really been interested in the whole induction forge method, I always used coal. Anyways, when my platoon mechanic found out about my past smithing history he was fascinated and wanted to start smithing here, then he ran the idea of induction forges by me, this is where you guys come in. We have all the materials, but not really sure what exactly we need, I have been researching the topic for some time (I have a lot of free time now due to the recent IED that put me on crutches and made me non mission capable). Any help or input would be much appreciated, buying a forge is out of the question due to my current location. Thanks,
Spc. Savant

I'm proud to welcome you to IFI. I also wish you a speedy and complete recovery. Nakedanvil ( Grant Sarver ) Is ( in my opinion) our resident induction guru ( sorry Jock ). He will probably reply to your post, if not though, send him an e-mail, find him on the members list. Good luck in everything you do.
Keith

There are videos on youtube of forges built. search induction heater as well as forge. There are some web sites that also walk through the process.

What fuel do the locals use? That would be the fastest method to get to forging. Or a waste oil forge using diesel or oil from the motor pool.

Thanks for the speedy replies and support guys! Ill look into those sources, and the oil forge sounds way more practical! since we have a lot of used oil laying around, I think i will try to gear more closer to something like that. Thanks again guys! We will be sure to post pictures when we get things up and running!

• 3 weeks later...