I Forge Iron

Another from the UK

overwrought

Just to say hello to all and that I've really appreciated some of the stuff posted to date. I'm a keen amateur based in Warwickshire looking hard at ways to improve my skills doing something I've loved for a long time without ever thinking blacksmith. I've just spent the morning with Nigel Barnet at Fransham Forge (Chair of the BABA (British Artist Blacksmiths Association) and have been blown away by his skill, enthusiasm and scale of his work. I've spoken to some great and clever people over the last 12 months and it's clear that smithing promotes global friendship and cooperation. I no longer feel like a recluse in a rented stable and feel proud to be part of it all. Good luck to all.

Welcome aboard.

I know the feeling of working in isolation quite well. I'm self taught, started when I was maybe 10 or so and didn't know there were still working smiths out there till many years later. It wasn't till the internet went public that I discovered just how many there are.

I still live in a fairly isolated part of the world but we're developing a group of smiths to get together with when we can. There's nothing like being in the presence of smiths, playing with fire and swapping ideas, tricks, techniques and outrageous stories.

Frosty