I Forge Iron

Recycled copper tubing

Jaret

I have read a bit in here, and I am a newbie to the whole forging world, but I do know copper some. As a plumber I come across a lot of scrap. This can be melted down and reused right? If so, how do you get the impurities out like the tin and so forth from the solder joints?

Thanks

J.

Copper tube is good when welding tin. You can flatten it out and put it behind the weld and it will help keep the metal from falling away when it melts. Welding metal won't stick to the copper, so the copper acts as a shield and then is removed easy.

Interesting problem. Perhaps the best way would be to remove the solder before you melt the copper. I'm not sure how they do it at a foundry. Perhaps temperature is critical. Perhaps a centrifuge.

Christopher

thanks. I do usually cut off the solder joints when taking it to salvage. Just curious if anyone knew a technique.

If I do have clean copper pipe, I can melt it down for re-forging, correct? Can make billets out of it and do copper casting?

Melt away! Be sure that you always use the same crucible to avoid contamination
As far as removing solder- heat pipe until solder flashes and use wire cleaner to remove. I sometimes use scotchbrite but you have to move fast because it will melt.
Tin and copper have different waights and melting temps, so they will sepperate out given the right conditions.