I Forge Iron

Wrought Iron Questions

I was going thru some of my junk metal in the garage and found an old hook that my dad dug up out of the ground several years back before I got into blacksmithing. The hook has about a 1.5" inside diameter circle and lacks about half an inch of being completely closed. Tapers from about 1.5" to about .25" wide and 3/8" to .5" thick. It also has 2 holes off center and not inline with each other, punched not drilled holes. Took it in to class yesterday and in grinding off some of the rust found out it was probably wrought iron, bead blasted it today and from what myself and others can tell it is wrought iron, due to the grain structure.

I am going to take some pics before I start working with it and post them later this afternoon. Dad says it came off an old vehicle and the teacher says it probably came off an old wagon. Any ideas what it might have been used for? And how can I fill in the holes so it is one solid piece? Forgeweld them and draw the thing back out straight? How hard is wrought iron to forgeweld to a piece of high carbon steel? Never used wrought iron before, so other than keeping it at almost welding heat, any other tips before I put this in the fire and start beating on it?

Thanx for the help. And if the project I have in mind goes like I am hoping I will post some pictures this weekend or first part of next.