I Forge Iron

Tire hammer?

Howdy Will,
I had never heard of one, nor seen one, before I got a mailer from the New England School of Metalwork.
See http://www.newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com/workshopguest.htm

There is a single good picture of one there. A web search turned up several other photos, but no plans or much other info. I did find some other info related to other types of mechanical hammers.

This tire hammer sure looks like a pretty good way to go. I especially like the simplicity of the drive mechanism (a pivoting motor with a pulley that direct drives the tire).

Most of this looks like it could be "duplicated" pretty easily from the photo(s), the details of the portion of the mechanism with the spring are the part that concerns me the most. I suppose that with a bit of study of one of the Little Giant mechanisms, that it could be accomplished.

I am very interested in building one of these, if you find more info, pass it on!
I'll do the same.

Henry

Don't know where you are but 'they' are trying to get one here in Tallahassee, Fl sometime in May. I talked to Clay a few months ago and he said he wasn't gona release any plans 'till he had all the bugs worked out. If they have it here its gona be at (MIke)Bettinger's Welding.

KSB

I sent Clay an email a couple of days ago but haven't heard back yet.

There was going to be a class at Mike's shop back in November? but it got canncelled because only six of us signed up for it.

I realy like the idea behind the tire hammer, and could probably build one just from the pictures and taking a tape measure to a little giant. But I realy don't have time to "aw xxxx, lets try a little more here and a little less there" till I get it rite. I am getting by pretty well with a hydrolic press and a rocking beam hammer but the press is excellent for damascus it's slow and a hammer on the last drawing heat smooths the metal out and beats a lot of the scale off that I would have to grind off. Also a press is not as handy for low temp forging straight carbon steels. The hammer I built is similar to "Rusty", but is a little slow, hits a little soft, and is under powered and likes to trip breakers. Not to mention the plans left a lot to be desired. It went through several incarnations to be as functional as it is now and I have no desire to repeat the process. I'm a roughneck, sometime bladesmith, not an enginere!:eek:

I know a 3 local smiths here that went to one of Clay's workshops and built these things. They can't say enough good things about them or Clay's input. At least one of these smiths has a larger mechanical hammer (Little Giant mayberrr) and he prefers his new tire-hammer. FYI, I believe Mr. Spencer has a NASA (?) engineering background so that combined with his blacksmithing enthusiasm would be enough to convince me to go to one of his workshops if I had the time or capital. I've seen one of his treadle-hammers in person and all I can say is 'wow'.

I'm supposed to go check out one of the power hammers this week. If I can get some pics, I'll post them with the owner's permission.

Thanks, that was what I was needing to hear. I would apreciate the photo's also. Like I said, I was going to one but it got canncelled. I realy like the idea and design, but I work 14 days on and 14 off offshore. It seems everytime there's a class within driving distance I'm on the rig. I want one pretty bad as a rebuilt little giant down here will run 4+ grand, if you can find one that is. I would love to attend a class, like I said, I'm not an engineer. If it came down to it I could make it from detailed plans but would take longer with the minimal welding and cutting tools I have.

I have been playing with the press but can see myself going back and forth, some things the press excells at, others a hammer.

Is there a class schedule anywhere out there?

Thanks,
Will

Will -- I got a em today from one of the faba members - said it was time to get $$ to Mike for the hammer workshop. I'll try to call Mike next day or so and find out if it is really on. I'll post back when I find out something.

ksb

I'm in North Alabama and would seriously consider coming to Tallahassee for a workshop for one of these hammers. I saw Clay's demo at Tannehill in December and signed every interest sheet that came around. Haven't heard anything, and my great fear has been that a workshop would finally be scheduled sometime when I have an unbreakable commitment on the calendar. Sure hope to see a post about when and where and how much.

Steve

Talked to Mike today - he indicated that the hammer workshop is 'on' - with however many (or few) people sign on. He is trying to get everybody concerned to get their money in now (don't know how much). It's set for the weekend of 26 May. If you are interested his number is 850/576-8356 (he is in & out a lot). The last em add. I had for him is : Poisonivory1234@aol.com

KSB

PS Henry - don't 'ya need a vacation ? Come on down .

foiled again, that's rite in the middle of my 14 days on the water. Seems like everytime there's a show or hammerin I'm stuck in the middle of the gulf.:mad:

Thanks for the update. At this rate I'm beginning to think I'll be better off waiting on a set of plans.