I Forge Iron

Anvil horn repair

I recently acquired an anvil (a Trenton, I believe) in really decent shape except for a deep gouge in the horn near the tip. The gouge is about a 1/2 inch deep by 3/4 of inch across. I'd like to fill it in by welding, then grinding to shape. One site recommended using 6010 rod. Can I use 7018AC, which I have plenty of, or should I get some 6010? I also have a wire welder. Do I need to preheat? I'm thinking (and hoping) this should be a pretty basic fix, since I'm not dealing with the face of the anvil. Am I right? Any suggestions and cautions would be greatly appreciated.

Dale 7018 is preferable, and yes a preheat would be wise, I just soot with pure acetylene and then preheat around the area till the soot dissappears when I repair the horn or the face. I always peen the weld well with a small hammer before I grind off the excess to stress relieve and also to take care of any internal porosity.