I Forge Iron

leaf forging

Here are 2 different leaves done in the same manner as the above leaves. The amount of material that you isolate will influence the outcoome of your leaves. The first leaf is made of 3/8" square mild steel. After forging a spade, you just fuller the design. Then use a ball peen and the dish in the wood to give it life. The tools used are pictured. The second leaf is made from 1" round copper. After forging the spade, chisel like shown in a vice with copper jaws Then finish moving the material in whatever direction by tilting your roounding hammer. Next chisel or fuller the veins. Finally shape to desired shape. This one is shaped into a spoon rest, dish, ash tray, or whatever else you can think of.

11897.attach

11898.attach

11899.attach

11900.attach

11901.attach

11902.attach

11903.attach

11904.attach

11905.attach

11906.attach

Slideshows

These leaves were a couple of test pieces. The lower one was damaged when I used too large a chisel to fold it. The other passed muster so I made about 40 more with tails so they could be welded to the balance of the work.

The larger piece was an attempt to copy a Yellin "sketch" from Jack Andrews book.