I Forge Iron

Have a question on modifying/re-shaping a leaf spring

If you are going to try to modify the leaf pack, and I'm assuming from the photos that you want to bend the spring leave on edge rather than on the flat ie, to joggle the eyes sideways, (next time take photos that show orthografical projection ie front, side, top views, its hard to tell what needs doing when the shot is on a 45 deg angle) you may be able to bend it by warming the leaves up to the greasy stick temp, we will set leaves at that temp and you can bend spring steel fairly happily at that temp without affecting the temper. Just remember not to go too hot. Greasy stick is about 480 to 520 degrees. Spring is fairly user friendly and will tollerate a bit of heat abuse normally. You will probably need to use a press to bend it, whether you can get the amount of bend you require before the leaves start to twist sideways is another thing. If you can't get the bend you need at greasy stick you will have to go up to 850 deg and then reheat treat the whole thing. We used to harden and temper everything up to front main leaves ford loiuisville primemovers (which were if I remember about 90 x 20 stock x 1800mm in size) when I started my apprenticeship up on the NSW north coast using a fairly large forge fire. We'd run the leaf back and forwards thru the fire till it was orange then bend it then quench it in quenching oil all in one operation, then back on top of the fire and heat it carefull up to greasy stick to temper it, then set the leaf to it's mate while still hot. If you can't get hickory to use as a stick we used to use old hammer handles that were Aussie spotted gum, worked just as well.

Cheers Phil