I Forge Iron

KA-75 Question

I used it at QuadState and thought it was great. As stated earlier, it doesn't cycle like a power hammer. The guy using it to make hammers was able to develop a good rhythm with tapping his toe on the treadle. I would talk to the guys that sell them at Postville Blacksmith Shop and find out when you can test one at a hammer-in.

That would have been Nathan Robertson @ JackPine Forge. He makes a nice hammer, and does production runs on a KA 75. Using tooling under it is very nice and has good control. My foot gets tired tapping for each blow, but I am used to a hammer that cycles. They don't use air at the same rate as a utility style hammer, so you should be able to get by with a 5hp with a big reciever and not run it to death. If you can afford it, like using top tooling, and don't want to do mainly long draws I would think about it seriously. If I were in the market to buy a new hammer, my personal preference would be for one of the Turkish self-contained hammers. Since I have already disposed of my discretionairy income;-) I can only dream about buying an old Nazel B3 or larger... So I will be building any new hammer that I get.

I watched the one in operation at Quad-State and was very impressed with the operation. The fellow making hammers was definitely in production mode making them. Watching him work was inspiring, to say the least. Looked to me like the KA-75 would be a great tool for a one-man operation. Seemed like the hammer didn't have any problem delivering whatever he wanted it to do, whether it was punching, cutting, fullering, etc.

Edited by keykeeper