I Forge Iron

Forge welding practice

I've only recently started successfully forge welding, here are a couple of "lap welds" ?? Not sure what you'd call them.
Just overlapping tapered ends.
I will have to make another key ring from a less rusted piece next time... My main goal with these was just getting practice judging heat and making some welds. These are my 4th and 5th forge welds. Thanks for looking.
P1010283.JPG

nice man, i need to get doing these kind of exercises instead of trying to make something complex and spooning it up half way through,, good stuff i wish i could be doing forge welds with some success i need to get my practice hat on

There may be no visible smoke but charcoal still gives off CO and Co2 when it burns. Both are undetectable to us and both are dangerous.

Yes, you still have to be careful...I've just found that my chimney does a pretty good job taking away the gasses with the blower on, but my forge doesn't seem to create enough draft when it's not running...and if there is smoke, some of it doesn't go up.

Great welds, its really nice when it starts coming together and you wonder what all the problem was originally. Usually judging the right temperature :)

Yeah, I think that was the problem I had before... just not getting the metal quite hot enough.