I Forge Iron

Green Coal from East Tn.

Trenton93

Hey Y`all,
This is Trenton James from Morgan Co. Tn(near Hammerkid) . I am just getting started. I' ve gotta get all my tools, so if yon's know anybody at all saling used tools fairly cheap ( please ) let me know I`ve been working with hammer kid some at his shop.
Thanks,Trenton;)

Edited by Trenton93

Welcome to the gang Trenton, good to have another kidsmith!

What do you have for tools now? You might be surprised at how little you really need to start smithing or how easy it is to improvise.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll help put you in touch with smiths in your area for some hands on help. That and us old farts won't have to remember who's in the area when we're traveling and want a snack a place to nap or in you youngsters case a strong back to help us load something.

Frosty

Welcome to the gang Trenton, good to have another kidsmith!

What do you have for tools now? You might be surprised at how little you really need to start smithing or how easy it is to improvise.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll help put you in touch with smiths in your area for some hands on help. That and us old farts won't have to remember who's in the area when we're traveling and want a snack a place to nap or in you youngsters case a strong back to help us load something.

Frosty
Hello Frosty! I have an Electric Blower is all, still looking for tool's:(

Well, believe it or not a blower is one of the harder things to improvise. Now all you need is a length of pipe around 1" dia or so, a hole in MINERAL soil for the fire, something heavy to beat against, a hammer and something to beat on.

Okay, I skipped a step here. The most, ABSOLUTELY MOST important thing you need is safety gear. Eye protection is #1 do NOT beat on anything without it! Wear natural fabrics or leather at the fire, synthetics will melt on contact with hot things and DEEP FRY YOU. Ear protection is also VERY important unless you want to be like me and live daily with tinnitus (ringing in my ears) and hearing loss in general. And I WORE ear protection! Drilling for a living is LOUD.

Okay, end safety schpiel. Get some safety gear and get into the habit of using it.

Most of the guys who haven't filtered me out yet have seen this pic but I'll post it again. I'm repairing a log tong that got straightened when I was clearing our land 11 years ago.

The fire is wood burning to charcoal in a hole. The blower (the bright yellow thing to the left in the pic) is a 12v Coleman Inflateall sold under a different name now for around $20 in sporting goods stores for inflating rafts, mattresses and the occasional forge fire. ;) The pipe is a piece of 1 1/5" I used as a cheater I think, it's been a while.

The "anvil" is a birch log with a convenient shape to use as a swage to repair the tong.

The hammer is 2lb Craftsman driller's hammer and one of my favorites.

When we came out the next day I brought a proper anvil, tongs and a couple hammers in case I needed to do more forging.

Anyway, you don't need all the "REAL" tools and equipment. RR rail makes a dandy anvil but almost any piece of heavy iron or steel will do. "I" beam isn't the greatest as it has a lot of flex but will do in a pinch. An old forklift fork on the other hand will make a wonderful anvil.

Even a smooth boulder will make a good anvil though not as good as something massively steel.

Tongs can be Visegrips or pliers if that's what you have. I have one pair I got in a bucket of tongs that is a pair of slip joint pliers with handles welded on. I looked upon them rather scornfully as anything but make do tongs till I used them one day. Now the darned things hang on my primary tong rack they're so handy.

Hammers. Well, ball peins, cross peins, single jack sledges, drilling hammers, etc. are usually pretty easy to find at flea markets, garage sales, etc. for a buck or two apiece though you may have to put handles on them.

While you're at garage sales, etc. look for cold chisels, punches, a hack saw, files and such. These are all useful things to have.

Once you have even the most basic kit together you can start making what you need. Most importantly you can start beating hot iron and building your skills.

When you run across interesting things you think you can use take a pic and show us. We're full of ideas. Well, full of IT anyway. :rolleyes:

Frosty

11193.attach

Edited by Frosty