I Forge Iron

B tank regulator

I Have a question about my Uniweld acetylene B tank regulator. I bought an adapter to convert it to use on a 20lbs propane tank that I plan on using for my gas forge. I know that my Harris cutting torch regulator can be used for both gases but I just wanted to make sure this one will work as well. The gauge is only 200lbs capacity and I don't know what amount of pressure a propane tank has when full. The regulator says for "compressed gases" not for just acetylene. I figured if they make an adapter to do this conversion I must be on the right track. The guy at the welding supply did not see any proplem with using it either.

Thanks for any help...........Scott

you can't have pressure without temperature, they go hand in hand. Find the temp you expect the tank to be and then the pressure, It has no (almost) relationship to the amount of gas in the tank, unless the tank is so empty it can't expand to the fullest amount. the tank can get over 200 but it would be getting pretty warm, here is temp pressure chart for propane. as you can see it boils at a very cold temp, so don't spill any liquid on you! very similar to refrigerant r-22

propanegaschart.jpg

Edited by saintjohnbarleycorn