I Forge Iron

new fire pot

hot coal

i an wanting to make a new fire piot from a old farm dish blade an welding a 4 inch ring around the top to add more coal or charcaol to it with a tee thype pipe at the botton for a bolwer an ash dump , will line it with fire clay , what is your thinking on this the disk blade is about 18 inch across an will drill a tryee hole in it for climker clean out , what say u alll

I have one just like it and find the following:

• I put a 2" collar all round and found it to be too deep for use with my small hand cranker.
  • I used an old vacuum cleaner but it burnt too much coal and I was burning jobs.
  • I use a quarter inch plate as my tuyer with 9 half inch holes in it.
  • I have a length of 10" bore casing in the centre to form the fire pot.
  • I have made the fire pot shallower by using an adobe mix so the tuyer is only about 2 1/2" below the top of the bore casing.
  • I can forge and weld in this set up but it will be better when I cut the sides down so its not so heavy to move!!
  • As the fire is higher than the sides I can run long pieces through it and coke new cola around the edges as I go.

A few ideas....

Cheers Edited by rmcpb

Nice design, Mine is made from steel plate about 14" dia. with a 3" high band, and a 12" dia. 3"high band to make a 2" space filled with sand to insulate it, a 2" pipe with a "t" welded to it for a dump and blower sticks up 1" through the plate with a layer of sand in the bottom it gives me a 10" fire pot, a 3" x 3", 1/2" thick plate with holes in it works as a tyre. it's crude but works well. if you like i'll try to get some pics later.