I Forge Iron

Gas forge initial fire. Thoughts?

Ross_E

Here are a few images and a description of the intial firing of my gas forge.

If you can't tell, that's a T-Rex 3/4" burner. It is working well, but I do not know if I have it tuned properly. My flame pulsates from time to time, and the flame jumps back to the jet tip from time to time when I am adjusting the PSI and vent slide. The closest I have gotten to the description on the T-Rex website still has quit a bit of orange. Any ideas?

Also, with gas pressure nearing 10 PSI, the flare heats to a bright glow very quickly, and flames leaping from the mouth would make it impossible to actually work with.

The test burn lasted about 5 minutes, 2 of which was warm up.
Note: I will add pictures once I scale them down to fit.

Ten PSI! Wow, I've run my T- Rex burners for over ten years and I don't think I've ever had them up that high, even for forge welding. For general forging I usually run 3 to 5 psi. The thing you really need to watch is the positioning of the flame nozzle distance in relation to the air adjustment ports. It's a very crucial adjustment for proper air fuel mixture. I can't recall without the references, but I had to experiment to see how it worked best in my forge. I have a separate forge for damascus making and it's a horizontal tube and I run two T-rex's, they generally ruh at 6 to 7 psi. Wes