I Forge Iron

Small forge

Adirondacker

I have been working in the shop during this bitter cold we are having. The sawmill doesn't run well below twenty to many hyd lines. Anyways I have been wanting to get started beating some iron so I made a small forge out of some 6" well casing, copper pipe, pvc and a hair dryer. Got it together yesterday but need some fire brick for the bottom, for now I will use some charcoal left over from a party last summer and try this out. I have a project in mind, We make signs out of heavy pine slabs with lettering and numbers handsawn out of basswood, I have an order for a house number on a pine slab, this will hang from a angle iron bracket. With just three numbers the pine slab looks a little bare, so I took some pictures of Crane Mountain from different angles till I found one that suited me, down loaded this and printed out. then I cut the profile of the mountain out and transfered this to a 1/2 piece of wood, then cut this out on the bandsaw, and sanded it down. My hope is to bend 1/2" sq stock into profile of Crane Mountain and mount this to pine slab, think will add a nice touch, can see this in my minds eye, now have to make it real. Just wanted you to know that I got going in trying to learn a new skill.
Adirondacker