I Forge Iron

dissimilar metals?

grimme

Stainless will absolutely weld to mild steel with the proper wire ( solid or FCAW ) and shielding gas combination. Stick works with the proper rod but I have no experience in that. Of course it can be Tigged nicely. can also be gas welded. Forge welding, I don't know but am sure someone has experience in this. Fact is, it can be welded together with modern technology but someone else will have to answer your specific question.

The note about borax caught my eye,,,,,My guess is he wants to forge weld the metals,,,,What little I know about forge welding SS is that it takes an aggresive flux that may indeen be a health hazard...I do not need that,,,,I stick to Carbon steel for forge welding ,,,at least until I know more about it.

I couldn't forge weld stainless to save my life, you need to talk with JPH , he's the only guy I know that pattern welds with Stainless Steel.
I would reccomend getting REALLY comfortable with forgewelding High carbon to low carbon before I tried doing the stainless welds.