I Forge Iron

gas forge insulation

How much is enough, or when are you wasting money? I plan to build a round one using one t-rex burner. More insulation is better but there must be a point of diminishing returns. Is two inches of 2600 degree about the best compromise or is 3". If you have one you know the stuff is very expensive, but are you gaining in using less gas over the long run and increasing the life of the forge?
I also am going to use itc-100. thanks for any ideas on this.

Thanks for the replies. IT looks like I will do 14" diameter with 12" long. It seems like 12" would be the most efficient with the wool as it comes in 24" lengths I believe.
I am not sure if I will be doing welding or not at this point, so I guess that makes it hard to decide which insulation to go with.
As far as the angle of the burner, does any certian angle work better? I think the idea is to get the flame to circulate some around the interior before exiting getting more heat form the torch. thanks for any replies. kevin