I Forge Iron

Chop Saw Stand

tophand

I just wanted to post my new chop saw stand. Nobody likes to bend down to cut things. The saw table is the same height as my welding table. The cast wheels were salvaged from an old cherry picker. This idea maynot be new, but it is new to me. The only thing I need is tee handle, but it works nicely by grabbing the saw handle.

Matt

10844.attach

10845.attach

I made the legs on my chopsaw stand splay both ways for stability, its light only made out of 1/8 narrow angle iron, I did make a removable stock rack that looks like a small ladder that the outer end sets on a stock stand, that I can clamp a short angle iron cutoff to for a stop when cutting lots of same length short pieces .

• 2 weeks later...

Might be of interest to some. Considering how much of a mess these saws make.......I took an empty 55 gal. drum and fab'd a drop in shelf out of expanded metal....then positioned my chop saw in the center...now ALL of that MESS ends up in the drum. And if/when it gets full......I just dump it and get a new drum.....drop in the expanded metal shelf......and viola. I'll have to see if I've got pix of it....to share.

Great suggestions from all. I don't have a digital camera to show u, I'll try to describe. With mine i took it right off the base, and welded tabs to bolt it down to a 1/2"x 24"x30" plate which I also rewire a new safety switch to the bottom to free hands, yet get to, in a safety situation. . This plate allows me versatility in cutting, clamping, and angling. I took that silly in the wat threaded hold down off and welded it on a plate. This I use on a jig table made from a 3'x3' steel flooring grate with 1 inch squares. Drill ends and cut the correct slot in the plate. Add bolted base and back stop to it. For a right side support, I used 3foot long x 5" wide of 1/8 inch sheet. Welded down a 3 foot cutoff steel ruler. Then welded 1/16 thick sheet metal with a ruler cutout on top of that. This side support, hinges down and out of way after the leg supportun pins and folds back. The next big helper I did, is attach a cable to the bottom of moving chop saw arm about 3 inches forward of hinge. Running this cable down thru a new hole in the 1/2"x24"x30" plate to a pulley and a foot hold to assist me in cutting and shaping on the chop saw. This has allowed me to make long cuts, with steadier down pressure, I need this for a couple of my unsuggestable tasks, but has been a time and arm saver, also free's up both hands to work as needed.

Edited by wolf mtn