I Forge Iron

Bill Moran

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Bill Moran died yesterday morning about 4:30 am.

William F. Moran was one of the most famous modern knife makers. Bill was one of the driving forces to organizing the American Bladesmith Association, and the ABS school in Arkansas. He is also known as "the father of modern damascus". (Bill was also a better than decent blacksmith). He was a humble man that always had an encouraging word for new knifemakers. Bill was one of the nicest people I have had the honor of knowing. Ring the anvil to send him on his way in style.

For those close enough, or those wishing to make a contribution, here are the funeral arrangements:

Funeral Arrangements
The viewing hours for receiving friends are on Thursday, Feb. 16th from 3:00-5:00 & 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. The funeral will be at 10:00 a.m. on Friday the 17th. Both days are at the Keeney & Basford Funeral Home, 106 East Church Street, Frederick, Maryland 21701. Bill's remains will be cremated after that and the Inurnment will be at the Mt. Olivet Cemetery at 10 a.m. on Saturday the 18th.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions should be sent to the

W. F. Moran Endowment Fund
C/O American Bladesmith Society
PO Box 1481
Cypress, Texas 77410-1481

Or to:

W. F. Moran Museum Fund
C/O Landmarks Foundation
attn: Don Keel
6739 South Clifton Road
Frederick, Maryland 21703.

They are turning his blacksmith/bladesmith shop into a museum. I know Bill was heavily involved with the planning.

Pam