I Forge Iron

what wt oil goes in blowers

Hello,new to blacksmithing,just got my first hand cranked blower,champion midway,got it from friend for $100 complete with stand,works good just needs a good cleaning,wood handle missing,but no big deal i can replace,also building my first forge it's a brake drum type not quiet finished yet but getting there.really like site lots of info! thanks for any replys.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Use thin oil, I actually use ATF in my blowers with excellent results. If you would click on "User CP" up in the green bar at the top of the page you can update your profile giving your location. This will help you tremendously in the future. Shoot, there is probably someone just up the street from you blacksmithing right now that would be glad to help you! Have fun.

Doug C, That is the primary reason I use ATF in mine. I bought a blower once that would turn but was real 'stiff'. Took it apart and it had grease and 90wt in it. Soaked it in diesel and replace with ATF and could not believe the difference! Made a believer outta me, only ATF for my blowers!

Depends on how worn your bushings are. But a thin oil should surfice so it seep into the shaft bushings and lubes well.
If it drips to much and makes a mess put a little heavier in.
I had worn bushings in mine had to spin new ones. but also added little felt washers to keep leaking down.
Thay all will leak a little you just don't want to much running out to where your always adding more.

I'd Start with a 30 wt
Hope I helped