I Forge Iron

Simple cable skinner..

KYBOY

Forged from a piece of 1" cable..Stag handle with steel hardware and a brass plug in the grip butt cap..Im a little disappointed that I slightly misplaced the tang in the grip and interrupted the flow but oh well...lesson learned :P
Picture_211.jpg
Picture_208.jpg

very nice - got to try the cable thing. Does it hold an edge well? I have tons of cable but also have no clue what it is made of(type of steel) so I worry about going to all the trouble to get a nice blade and have it not harden well or take a good lasting edge?

Looks real cool though.

Bob Urban

very nice - got to try the cable thing. Does it hold an edge well? I have tons of cable but also have no clue what it is made of(type of steel) so I worry about going to all the trouble to get a nice blade and have it not harden well or take a good lasting edge?

Looks real cool though.

Bob Urban

Hi Bob.......I'm new to the site, but have been making knives for about 3 years. I have been making cable damascus for awhile. I figured that it would be a way that I could practice my forge welding. :D If you are unsure of the hardenability of the cable, heat the end to dull orange and quench in water. Then put it on the anvil and tap the end with a hammer. If it breaks off it is brittle, and you have cable that will work for making a knife.;)

10496.attach

10497.attach

I will try just that? I have access to so much cable frome crane cables to chokers to ??? Just did not know what, if any, would be any good. I will give some a try next time I am in the shop. I really like the Cable handle on the knife

Bob Urban

Cool blade :)

If you're having trouble lining up the tang in handles, always remember that you mostly have to worry about getting the blade part right. All you'll have to do is drill a couple straight holes in the handle, but the tang is going to have to match up with the center of your ricasso to make the knife look correct.