I Forge Iron

Son's First Knife

Leland

The gouge made for my son's Christmas gift has served part of its intended purpose and motivated him towards advancing his own smithing skills. Here is a knife my son made:

Full-blade tang, slightly tapered towards the butt, zebra wood scales fastened with epoxy and brass rivets. AND my crafty little 14-year-old made himself a nice leather sheath to go with his new blade!

Happy New Year everyone,
Leland

My son's 15, and has been around craftsmanship all his life (well, the part he spends with me anyhow); he's picked much of this up through osmosis, I suppose.

Flaming S, my son got tired of visiting Rockler Woodworking nearby and hearing me say, "The Bank of Dad is not funding your tool purchase, kid." Since said kid's no better able to afford the fancy cutting tools sold there than is the BoD, he's been inspired to continue smithing!

Edited by Leland

Wouldn't bet against that one, NuViking -- my little lawyer/anti-paternal-tyranny-activist spends a good deal of time poking around in various art books in my library and his; he decided on the shape himself. I know he has a fondness for all things Celtic -- not much of a lateral move from Nordic, eh?