I Forge Iron

First firing of new forge!

rotavia

Fired up my forge for the first time today!:) An old 20 lb. propane tank, kaowool, ItC-100, firebrick etc, and a couple of "Frosty" style burners (Thanks Frosty!!). Heats up a RR spike to bright orange in about three minutes or so. Might need some tweaking as it doesn't seem to get any hotter than that. But I pounded away on them with a hammer and my el'cheapo anvil anyway and had a blast! :D Now to learn a little control and develop some skill. Trying to track down a decent anvil.....scarce as all get-out around here!
Rotavia

Sounds great. Bright orange is not too bad, especially if you are going to forge lots of tool steel. That way you will not accidently overheat it.

As for the anvil, don't get too worried about a "real" anvil. Any lump of steel will do. I use a farriers anvil, and several different shaped lumps of steel for my "anvils".

Cheers

This is funny. I did the same thing last night. I made a gas forge a few weeks ago. Never could get it to heat right. Got my kaowool in Saturday and got it put in on Monday. Fired it up last night and heated up a railroad spike. It would get to bright orange as well.

Then I went to adjusting on it and now I get to build another burner, because I messed that one up.......oh well better luck next time.

Rotavia:

First off, congratulations!

If you can take a couple pics of the burners in a cold forge I can probably help you get them tuned. If you built 3/4" ones you should get to yellow white heat easily. However it's common to need to do a little tweaking to get them right.

It's one of the offsets of building burners as simple as mine, they always take tweaking.

Frosty

Thanks Frosty, I used the 1" pipe and tee. The orafice seems to be pretty well centered but I'll double check. Maybe I'm too far/too short into the tee with the mig tip? I'll try to get some photo's soon. I ran a 5/16 tap inside of the lamp rod and a die on the mig tip. Then ran a 1/8 pipe die on the other end and screwed on a 1/8X1/4 bushing...done! Fast and simple!
Aman.....how much fun did you have?!:D
Rotavia