I Forge Iron

Cable damascus " Talon "

J Anderson R

Thats nice.I like the form real well...Its funny you posted this..I just welded up two billets of cable this evening for christmas presents..A hunter for dad and a small dirk for my sister..Or thats what they hopefully will be..:D

What did you etch it with and how did you heat treat it? I just got a btach of cable and have made a couple of knives so far but had no luck getting it to etch with muratic acid--which i have had success with in the past.

I use ferric chloride to etch, cable will need to etch a bit longer than regular pattern welded steel to get a good pattern. You used to be able to get a good FC solution from radio shack called "Archer Etchant", but Ive been told they no longer carry it. Ebay has FC powder, 1lb makes between 4 to 5 gallons. To heat treat I set my foge very low and slowely brought it up to critical temp, then I edge quenched in a bacon grease/ parrafin/hydraulic oil mix ( Goddards Goo ). Most cable heat treats like 1084, hope this helps

I should also add that, when you etch, to check it often by taking it out of the etch, run it under water and lightly rub with 1500 grit sand paper or finer with a thick backing, doing this will help show the contrast more by polishing the high areas, while leaving the lower areas dark, the thick backing is so you you dont inadvertantly dip into the darkened areas and cause a streak