I Forge Iron

Hey all from Kansas

pauldude000

I have been in bladesmithing for awhile, and have made a few knives, some forge work must mostly ground, and have a MULTITUDE of other hobbies.

(Everything from woodwork to metal work, and a little of everything in between. Metal casting to bladesmith, electronics to cabinetry. :o Jack of all trades so to speak.)

I am going to straight forge work though for my knives. I am a dog having to learn a new path to hunt though, as coal is simply not cheap or easy to get here. Charcoal is what I will have to work with, unless I want to drive out of state, or pay horrendous shipping charges. Ouch.

However, I do not know diddly about how charcoal acts on iron or the forge specifics about charcoal. This dog may be gettin' old, but he ain't to old to check out a new trail.

Any advice about forging or forge welding, in general or especially using charcoal is welcome. Feel free to converse either here or through e-mail.

Paul Andrulis

Welcome aboard Paul.

Charcoal forge welds very nicely and is only a little different than using coal. Another option open to you that sounds crazy but works surprisingly well is using dried kernel corn in your forge.

Propane is another perfectly good option.

Frosty