I Forge Iron

Just getting started

Steve McCarthy

By just getting started I mean that I'm still in the planning stage. I've started gathering parts for my first forge and hope to have it completed soon. Having never hammered iron, I have a lot to learn. I hope to one day turn out some respectable fish gigs. I have easy access to a salvage yard so material shouldn't be a problem. I don't know where to find coal close, so I plan to use hardwood charcoal. I have an unlimited supply of dry oak. In these pages I plan to a lot of reading and learning, and maybe I won't ask too many stupid questions. Anyhow,I just wanted to say "Hey" to all.

Welcome aboard.

Fish gigs eh? Been a LONG time since I made a fish gig but I still have the scar on my right palm from sticking myself with the barb.

I was walking along the sidewalk treating my newly made fish spear like a walking stick, sharp end up, and I missed the edge of the curb with the butt end. It slid through my hand and barbed me good.

Oh the memories.

Frosty