I Forge Iron

New to Forum

Gabe Olguin

Hi my name is Gabriel Olguin I'm from Plainview Tx. i'm 31 years old I work at a Walmart Dist as a maint man. I love to do any thing traditonal from hunting to traping with my Grandfather. I shoot traditonal archery stick bow , flint napping and i guess black smithing has always called me. so i'm going to give it a try i'm gathering things right now that i need , but first question already, what do I need to buy and what can I make. any help would be great I hope to make many new friends. Gabe

Welcome,
All you need is iron,something to turn it red with(forge), something to smack it with(hammer) and a desire to learn. These folks are more than happy to help you out. The forge can be charcoal, coal or gas their all on the forum or the Iforgeiron site. The hammer can be a cheapy from walmart. From there it's all where you want to go. Just be safe, If it doesn't feel right ask someone!

Happy hammering,

JWB

Hello Gabe, you will need an anvil or substitute for such, a couple different wieghts of hammers, 1.5 and 2 pounders, at least one pair of tongs, a forge of some kind, a water bucket, coal or coke and a couple of punches and chisels different sizes. After you learn the basics you can make most of you other tools. But spend the time to learn the basics, drawing, fullering, swaging, upsetting, cutting, bending and punching.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum. There are many tutorals in the blue prints section of the main site, Iforgeiron.com

GABE-- I am about 160 miles north of you. Northwest of Dalhart.. There is a young man going to school in Lubbock that could help you get started. We call him Stormcrow.

Any way we can help you. I have done all you were talking about in the way of hunting. I don't knapp worth a durn.grin.

Good luck.

Chuck Bennett