I Forge Iron

Hello

ocrickard

Hi everyone! My name's Oliver Rickard, and I'm an undergrad in UC Berkeley's Civil Engineering program. I'm trying to teach myself some blacksmithing in what time I have outside of class. I was introduced to blacksmithing through my sister a little over two years ago when she introduced me to a blacksmith she knew. I was instantly hooked. I built a charcoal forge back home in Arcata, CA about a year and a half ago, then took classes at The Crucible, Oakland's Fire Arts Center. This year I managed to get enough money for a well-made gas forge from eBay, and operate it in the basement of my building in return for doing maintenance in and around the house. I have really enjoyed the process of experimentation and have been trying (somewhat successfully) to learn from my mistakes.
I've been reading this forum for about half a year now, and really like what I've seen. Everyone seems very nice and helpful, and I look forward to continuing to learn from all of you.
Sincerely,
Oliver Rickard

Welcome aboard Oliver it's good to have you.

You operate a propane forge in the basement?! I sure hope it's VERY well ventilated 24/7. Propane is heavier than air and WILL pool in low spots waiting for or building to a source of ignition, then good by house.

CO, Carbon Monoxide is also heavier than air and will collect in the basement with you poisoning you. If not quickly it will build up in your bloodstream and get you slowly.

At the very least you need an exhaust blower that can pick up near the floor AND it needs a flamable atmosphere rated motor.

I'd seriously recommend you move, at least the propane, out of the basement. Even storing it there is dangerous, a fire marshal would have words for you and could fine you heavily for it which is infinitely preferable to the alternative.

Frosty

My first thoughts as I read your post was OHMYGOSH!! HE's going to blow up what's left of CA.!! Then ole trusty Frosty steps up and handles it nicely. Listen to his advice, we want to keep you around for a while...at least til we see some of your work!:) Glad to have you aboard. Enjoy the place, ask ?'s as you need to and show us some pictures of some of your work.

I really appreciate the warnings. Good to know people are looking out for me. I hadn't known about operating a forge in a basement, and will definitely stay away from doing so in the future. Next semester I'm moving to a much smaller house where I doubt I will be able to blacksmith for just that reason.
The basement I'm using is not exactly what I think you guys are picturing. It's actually at ground level - we just call it the basement/dungeon because it's unfurnished concrete and mostly unused (except for some storage). 12 foot roof with windows, concrete floor and walls, and the building is half a city block (150 residents) - lots of space down there. The basement area is designed with special fire precautions because our furnace is down there, so there is a carbon monoxide meter, fire extinguishers, etc. I keep the propane tank disconnected from the forge whenever it's not in use, and use a huge fan we got last year for drying some moldy areas of the foundation last year to circulate air. Also, the forge uses a single burner, and the chamber is 12"x5"x4", so I just have a barbecue propane tank fueling it. I'm trying to be safe, but I'm sure it could be better. I'm always open to criticism, and really appreciate whatever you guys can teach me (especially if I'm doing something stupid and dangerous). Do you think this setup sounds okay? Or still risky? I could do the actual blacksmithing outside on a concrete slab near the house, but I'm kind of concerned about noise complaints from the neighbors.
Thanks,
Oliver

Ah, so it's like a big parking garage, that doesn't sound bad Oliver. The danger is in containing either the propane fumes or CO in a confined area.

I used to forge in my yard in a trailer court in South Mt. View. (That's part of Anchorage, AK) I kept my neighbors from griping too much by making things for them, sharpening knives and doing little metal repairs gratis. Large jobs I charged for, at a discount but I charge them.

I was also careful not to disturb people at odd hours, not before about 9:00am and would for sure knock off at dinner hour, usually before. It also helped that I paid my space rent months in advance because of the job I had. Anyway, the owners were a lot more likely to go to bat for me rather than evict me and have to refund space rent.

Frosty