I Forge Iron

Andrew Davis

sqeezplay

ello my name is Andrew Davis. i am a 16 year old, homeschooled student from IN. i live on a farm and share a shop with several freinds called "MAD Dwarf Workshop" (the MAD is all of our anitials) this year i plan on going to the IN ren-fair, because last year i went and there was a blacksmith who REALLY REALLY STUNK! he was really bad at blacksmithing. he was what got me into it, by being so bad i couldn't help but be better than him! it drove me nuts... but anyway. i work mostly on tools and knifes, if you ever want to see any of my work just e-mail and ask. thats all for now folks!

That was an interesting post Sqeezplay. There are a number of different approaches one might make in formulating a response. One way to look at it is to welcome you to the fold hope you enjoy your stay. You will no doubt learn a lot of useful and sometimes not so useful stuff. Another is that when you met this fellow it seems you were not yet even a raw novice. I'd suggest it is very thin ice you walk on when passing judgement from that stand point. I would also be very surprised if your early attemps at blacksmithing now rest at the Smithsonian or Royal Albert Museum as marvellous examples of the craft. We all have to start somewhere. At least your Stinking Smith was wearing his heart on his sleeve and brave enough to display his abilities for all to see. I bet he didn't expect to see your description in such a public place as this forum.
One wonders too whether his efforts were rewarded with the success he was trying to achieve in the first place...to inspire someone else to take up blacksmithing...Well done that man.
There are a lot of smiths around and about here, from beginners, to masters, to veritable Gods. If your Stinking Smith is one of them and puts two and two together, I trust that he recognises a youthful exuberance and a lack of tact and lets the previous post go through to the keeper(or catcher if you're not into cricket).
Finally I am far from being the greatest smith you've ever seen but I would hope that you could be a little bit more compassionate if ever you stand in front of my rope and then head for the keyboard. I would hate to be so discouraged and give up altogether.

What about posting some of the photos you talk of. See the "To post a photo" thread in the "Keeping you informed" section for advice on how this is done.

yes i was rather harsh.. (youthfulness) very stupid.. he wasn't that bad.. he just .. well.. how should i put this... he was bragging.. all he did was forge little screwdrivers out of round stock.. he did it all day.. and then he went into a big long explination on how to make charcoal and how he would sit around and make charcoal all day.. and under his forge is a bag of "wild Stans Charcoal" i don't think he's ever made charcoal in his life.. but anyway.. i'll be posting some photo's in the galleries.. look for em.. mostly knifes. I'm being a jerk .. i know.. but it just bugs me.

Hello Squeez. I'm glad you see that the man didn't put on what you deemed a good demo. Perhapse you will do better on your first try. It can be a chalenge to work in front of a crowd. I was fortunate enough to learn from a superb demonstrator and historian. Listening brought much info to me but he never embarased me in front of others while I learned. A true mark of a Gentleman. Perhapse if you met him again you might offer some subtle help on what he didn't know while complimenting on what he did know. Most blacksmiths I've met were always willing to offer help and advice. One of the great attributes of the character of our craftsman and artisons. One of my favorite quotes is,"Every man is my master, in that I may learn SOMETHING from him". There is a fine line between pride and arogance. Learn your hammer and let your work do the talking. If it is good, folks will let you know. But a kind word is always the best word.
Brad.

This post has nothing to do with Andrews posts. It is more along the line of Gobblerforges comments.

I have always been interested in training horses and dogs. Starting out at a VERY young age.

I moved to Santa Fe NM. when I was eighteen and about a year later met an OLD codger. He had been in the U.S. Calvary since a teenager. Retiring when they kicked him out. He was about 80 or so when I met him.

After he finally decided I was legit, wanting to learn all I could. He started talking. Telling me things that never had occured to me. He was continuely stating that he did not know much about training horses. He was amazing in the amount of knowledge he casually dispensed, in a conversational manner. ---meaning-- if you were not alert and paying attention you might miss what he was wanting you to see and understand.
Completely changed my outlook on training anything. Kids, horses, dogs, friends, and my wife when I married.

After 55 years or so of training things. I now understand what he meant, when stating he did not know much. The more you learn-- the more you realize that you do not know much after all.

Just some thoughts

Chuck Bennett