I Forge Iron

Mixing Coal and Lump Charcoal

I know most everyone uses coal. For me where I live, lump charcoal is alot easier to come by. I was also thinking about order regular coal from Centaur forge. I wanted to check to see if there was any problem if I mix using lump charcoal and blacksmith's coal in a forge. ( I doubt it but thought I needed to ask)

Thanks, Mark

No problem at all (I have done it in the past), but you are going to loose the benefits of each to some degree.

When coal "cokes out", it kinda sticks together and serves to insulate itself. The charcoal will open up space and allow the coke to burn faster and prevent the "igloo" effect.

Charcoal is wonderfully clean and smoke free. Add coal to it and it smokes and smells like coal.

I tend to reserve the charcoal for smaller jobs, like blades and firesteels, and use the coal for all around iron work.

My $.02,

Don

Well actually if a person moves the coal in from the sides, so that the coal has a chance to coke as it gradually moves towards the center of the forge, there will be very little if any smoke. It is only when a person throws raw coal onto the center of the pile that the volatiles put out a lot of smoke. This is why you need a coal forge that has a table that is at least 2 foot square, so that you can have enough area to control the fire with water, limiting the area that is burning, and gradually move the coal inwards as it cokes to replace the material in the center of the forge that has burned out.