I Forge Iron

converting this old screw press into a fly press

Killerchef69

Looking for some guidance/ ideas to turn this screw press (originally a leather embossing press). The shape and strength are there, but the main issues I'm seeing are flat pitch lead screw (about 3 turns per inch), needs a ram block and guide, work holding/ tooling retention

It currently has a flat platen that is supported by the big C frame, so I'm thinking of boring a hole for holding dies(not all the way through) and adding a plate with t-slots

Adding a plate in the back of the throat to support ram block guides.

The biggest constraint I'm seeing is a fast lead screw/ nut, so Looking for ideas for that. I currently have a pretty fast lead screw (1" 3 start, with just over an inch of travel per turn), but the nut that is on it is only threaded for a couple of inches and appears to be cast iron, soooo another dilemma. I also feel that the fly arm that is on the press would be too much for a 1" shaft (it's probably 75#).

Working on a stout base with 2"x4" box tube (sort of perimeter frame to accommodate the C frame) with flared legs of 1/2" thick 3" angle iron.

Any suggestions on approaching these challenges would be greatly appreciated!

Compress_20240216_151324_4620.jpg

Compress_20240216_151323_3012.jpg

Compress_20240216_151323_3359.jpg

Compress_20240216_151323_3671.jpg

Compress_20240216_151322_2391.jpg

Compress_20240216_151322_2717.jpg

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

If you put your general location in your profile, you may be surprised how many members may be near you to lend a helping hand.

I can't really help as fly & screw presses are not in my area of expertise. I'm reasonably sure some of our current members have some experience with them.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus