I Forge Iron

How did I do

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

Looks like a very good Fisher and a good shop weight. You got a steal of a price at $1.16 U.S. per pound, if it passes the ring & rebound test. Although Fisher's are very quiet anvils and don't ring like a bell, main thing the sound when tapped is consistent over the hardened steel face. Hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the face which will do more harm than good.

All she needs is a wire wheel cleaning and a coat of BLO to keep away the rust and hot steel hammered on her to shine the face right up. I believe the F N is for Fisher Norris the foundry that made it. If I'm wrong I bet Josh who is the owner of the Fisher Norris museum will correct me.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Nice score.  It has had some wear but has a lot of life left in it.  Your grandchilders' granchildren should be able to use it.  I'm not sure how experienced a smith you are but incase you don't know, for a right handed smith anvils are usually mounted with the horn to the left.  On your anvil the wear on one side of the face is from previous users working on the far edge of the anvil which, if you need an edge, is the easiest place to work.

If you put your general location in your profile it will help us with queries and you may be able to meet up with other smiths.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Lapland, Tasmania, or Kansas.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."