I Forge Iron

North german identification

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

No matter who made it, I would say it's an outstanding anvil and should give good service for generations to come. If you add your general location in your profile it will help with giving better answers.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

12 hours ago, yesteryearforge said:

Perhaps a Refflinghaus north German pattern 9.

I have one like it that is 1245 pounds

Hello!

The number 9 pattern is correct, but what makes you think it is a Refflinghaus anvil? Do you mean August Refflinghaus or Gustav (later Ernst) Refflinghaus? The former usually punched in a makers mark (circle with the letters A R S M, for "August Refflinghaus Söhne [Sons] Milspe [the location]", sometimes including the fire number inside the smaller inner circle), also they punched in "kg" for kilograms behind the weight numbers most of the time, though not always.

Without any destinctive makers mark, we'll never be able to say for sure, we could only narrow it down comparing the different styles and fonds of the markings we see.

The number 009 could refer to the pattern 9 or the forge fire, although I think that's unlikely, why would they punch in the zeros? It is also in a different style/font, so it might be added later by the shop that put the anvil to use, as an inventory number or something.

Concerning the age, I'd put it somewhere between the 1890s and 1960s.

I hope that helps a little!

Cheers!