I Forge Iron

So.Texas Metal Pounder.

mesquiteforge

Howdy-
I am a hobbyist blacksmith. I got interested in blacksmithing about 15 years ago after years of welding and farm/ranch projects. I met a few men that were in the Houston Area Blacksmith's Assn. (HABA Houston Area Blacksmith's Association) and they got me hooked. I had my grandfather's Buffalo Forge and some hammers. I bought a couple of anvils-as I came across good deals-and the obsession started. With some coal given to me by the gentleman at HABA I started melting every metal object I could put in the fire. I got interested in the craft thinking that I would make horse bits and working spurs. I have made some spurs-but the bits, I have found, require a bit more expertise than I have at this point. I have made a lot of utensils and trinkets that the "ladies" like to buy. My full time work keeps me out of the fire, but I try to squeeze an evening or weekend in here and there at the forge. Thank you all, ahead of time, for being a part of this site-to help novices like me expand my knowledge of a craft that has literally shaped our world. Happy Hammering!

Hey neighbor! Glad to have you come aboard. I'm in East Texas, just east of Longview, about 60miles west of Shreveport, LA. South Texas is pretty big, just where are you located? There is a group in the Austin/San Antonio area, Balcones Forge, they are a good bunch of folks too. Once again, Welcome.

Mesquiteforge,
This is a nice site where a lot of great information is shared. I don't know where you are in South Texas, I am located just south of San Antonio. Balcones Forge is meeting this Saturday in Llano. I was able to attend there last year and would expect another great get together. They always welcome visitors and new members.
Jerry

Hey neighbor! Glad to have you come aboard. I'm in East Texas, just east of Longview, about 60miles west of Shreveport, LA. South Texas is pretty big, just where are you located? There is a group in the Austin/San Antonio area, Balcones Forge, they are a good bunch of folks too. Once again, Welcome.

I live in Corpus Christi. I am a member of HABA and try to get to Houston meetings when possible. The HABA schedule has been somewhat disrupted by Hurricane Ike. Now that I am in Corpus Christi-I need to get involved in Balcones Forge too -as it is closer to my stomping grounds. I had the pleasure of forging with Rudy Billlings and Harvey Wise of Balcones Forge at several of the HABA Fall Forge Fests/Spring Roundups in Oldenburg, Tx. Everyone that I have met in the blacksmithing community has been more than eager to help educate and dispense friendly advice. We must have that mentality in order to preserve the craft.