I Forge Iron

what's this anvil, and it is worth a bid?

hello,

I'm looking around for a smaller anvil for demo's and such, found this one on a local auctioning site, looks interesting, but i don't really know the tape and brand, there's a picture of a partialy visible logo.
Does annybody have anny imput about this, and what would you think it's worth? should i bid on it?
here it is; oud aambeeld

kind regards!!

Just saw the price ... 200 euro works out to around $300.00 US, a bit steep for here in North America. But as I'm told, Euros spend like dollars here - so spending 200 Euro for you is like spending $200 here - so I think you should get it.
The table looks sound, the edges are in relative good shape, the horn looks in good shape, needs a cleaning but that's fixed with a good wire cup on an angle grinder.
I say go for it. If you don't like it you can always turn around and sell it again.
aeneas

I hate to admit it but I spent $325 for a 102 pound Trenton, so I don't think that price is 'that' bad.

I paid a premium for mine as it is in quite good shape. I have seen very few clean, flat anvils in my area. Plenty of 100 pound Peter Wrights that have seen better days, but I have never seen another good Trenton around here.

I drove a total of 5 hours with high gas prices to attend the auction. I wasn't going to let the day be a total waste of time. (I know, I know. I'm just justifying a potentially less-than-good deal).

I hate to admit it but I spent $325 for a 102 pound Trenton, so I don't think that price is 'that' bad.

I paid a premium for mine as it is in quite good shape. I have seen very few clean, flat anvils in my area. Plenty of 100 pound Peter Wrights that have seen better days, but I have never seen another good Trenton around here.

I drove a total of 5 hours with high gas prices to attend the auction. I wasn't going to let the day be a total waste of time. (I know, I know. I'm just justifying a potentially less-than-good deal).

Mark what it comes down to is ...
"Are you happy with the anvil?"
"Does it do what you need it to do?"
If the answers are YES then you don't have to justify anything. It's not as if you got hosed into buying a $300 paperweight. You got a good working anvil and it will pay itself off in you being able to enjoy doing something you love. It also seems that prices tend to be regional. An area that has a lot of anvils for sale but few buyers will be cheaper that the other way around.
You could have shopped around for a cheaper anvil, but then you may have had to pay for shipping - so where's the saving? I think you got a reasonable deal for a clean flat anvil. My 2 cents.
Aeneas

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys,

i got the trenton anvil for 126euro, a good price i think,
it wil be serving as an on the road anvil, for work as farrier, and for demo's.
thnx all for the advise!
i'm picking it up this sunday, i'l be posting some pictures of it soon as possible!
regards,
johannes