I Forge Iron

Tempilstik

rfdecarter

I recently purchased a 1450 degree Tempilstik marker for use in indicating critical temperature for some 1095 steel I have been using to make fire steels. Finally had a chance to use it yesterday and was rather dissapointed. First, it really didn't make much of mark on the steel (nothing like regular chalk or soapstone) and second, in my gas forge it was very difficult to observe it changing to indicate that its temperature had been attained.

I went back to the old way and used a magnet.

Any suggestions on how to use this better? I am doing something wrong?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Rich is right. When the material reaches the temp that the stick is rated for ( or hotter) when its rubbed across the hot surface the stick will melt leaving an easily seen indication. Sort of like a melted crayon mark on a very warm surface for lack of better words.You do not rub it on and then put the pc in the fire.
Heat a test pc , pull it out as the temp is going up and rub the temp stick across it lightly, you might see a slight mark or indication, back it the fire and continue raising the temp and repeat. Once it does reach the temp of the temp stick the melted mark will be readily apparent. Once you see it happen you will understand.